Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saints affirmation

I am approaching the dawn of the 2015 NFL season the same way I did in 2006 and 2009:

"Oh, hey, the Saints are playing."

I can't guarantee I'll keep this enlightened, low-expectation attitude up past the first play, but it seems like a workable plan at this football-free moment.

One of my least-favorite aspects of living anywhere other than Louisiana is the indifference toward teams I've loved all my life, if not outright antagonism — Nevada playing Louisiana at the New Orleans Bowl last year was a particularly interesting (and random) manifestation of that. On the other hand, it's a lot easier to tune it all out when things are going poorly. And having more outside interests puts it in a perspective I had less of when the Saints were Super Bowl-worthy and my non-NFL hobbies largely consisted of playing fantasy football and playing flag football.

Really, what I'm saying is: I don't expect a whole lot of the Saints this year, so anything good they do will be an awesome bonus. Just like in 2006 and 2009.

No comments: