Saturday, May 16, 2015

The devil wears people

Remember that white woman last week who yelled that "all the black people" were leaving early from a graduation ceremony that she messed up?

She later apologized by saying, "The devil was in the house and came out from my mouth."

No, you don't get to do that.

I've heard this before. It's sort of a paradox, because it's how some very religious people account for transgressive behavior. Apparently the devil likes to occasionally invade the soulhouses of devout Christians and force them to spout views that diametrically oppose everything they stand for, even if such views are not all that surprising. Satan is evidently like Captain Chaos — not in here, but out there, until he stops by to occupy.

That's a Cannonball Run reference, because I like to stay relevant.
In my experience, you don't have an outburst like that if it isn't something you already feel. I get mad all the time, but I never spout racial slurs at any point, let alone have them be the first things that come out of my mouth. Maybe the devil just doesn't see fit to visit my mouthhouse.

One of my favorite Onion articles is, "I can't stand it when Jews talk during movies." It really speaks to how so many people couch their prejudices by criticizing something presumably more acceptable. Like, say, saggy pants. Or, in the now-fired principal's case, how she can't stand it when blacks leave during graduation.

Sorry, how the devil in her house can't stand it. Wouldn't want to blame the wrong person. Who does that?

No comments: