Friday, May 29, 2015

Funnel cloud


This piece reminded of several conversations I've had nearly everywhere:

Them: "So what do you like to do?"

Me: "Bike, swim, write. You?"

Them: "Drink."

Shockingly, I do not forge strong bonds with any of these people.

When I was in 9th grade, my brother, who was a junior at the time, related to me the details of a party he'd gone to, which even for him was over the top:

"They weren't just talking and holding a beer, they were going [makes chugging motions] gissssh, gissssh, gissssh."

I've always remembered that because the distinction is striking between drinking as a social mechanism and drinking as a fetish. Even though I almost never drink myself, I can be around people who are. If people are doing a thing and also drinking, that's cool. If drinking is the point, I'd just as soon stay home.

Whenever I went out, my hope was always for at least one of two things: to have good friends to hang out with, and/or activities. Some way to have fun. And because I'm adept at making a good experience out of most things, I did. And most people I knew, whether or not they loved drinking, did too.

So I did, and still do, find it weird that some people see college and drinking as virtually one and the same. It's not that I don't see the allure of partying it up with alcohol, especially at that age; I just don't get the attitude that college, or anything else, needs a constant stream of it to be any fun. Seven years of college proved to me that plenty of people, even those who like to drink, could spend lots of blast time not doing keg stands. Because like with most things, moderation is key.

Anyone who has to be told, "it really is possible to have fun without taking a drink," should re-examine their life and get any help they need.

That said, dry campuses (and counties) sound unbearable.

No comments: