Wednesday, April 15, 2015

This is what drought looks like

On Aug. 2, 2013, I visited Lake Tahoe for the first time, trying out the very rocky Commons Beach in Tahoe City, Calif. Here is a picture from that day:

Yep, that's me.
On Sunday, I went back to that same spot and snapped this pic:

Way more Neapolitan-ice cream-like this time around.
At Kings Beach a few miles away, water that was up to my shoulders last summer is now ankle-deep. Throughout Tahoe, rivers trickle or don't flow at all. The snowpack this winter was 3 percent of what it normally is. Restaurants there don't serve you water unless you ask for it.

The crazy thing is, the area's been in a drought for at least three years. They were talking about it long before I got here. But in less than two years, the difference has become especially stark.

Here's another pair of a nearby spot:

Oct. 8, 2013
April 12, 2015. They just call the restaurant "Ranch" now.
Dang millennials and their lyrics.

No comments: