Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Oh, for goodness sake

I get the general sentiment behind the song "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." After all, I was a kid for about 20 years, and in that time heeded everyone from Perry to Michael to Bruce, et al. who reminded me of said annual arrival.

But why can't kids cry or pout? Why are these the first two acts that come to mind? 

What if that kid's crying because their close relative died on Christmas Eve, they live in an abusive environment or they're in the midst of an existential funk?

What if they're pouting because ... any reason? Any child who doesn't pout once in a while is a robot and should be put under some real child's tree.

Yeah, I get it, it's because "cry" and "pout" make for easily rhymed lyrics. I can solve that problem as well:

Oh, you better not deal
You better not lie
You better not steal
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town!

Now that's a culturally relevant Christmas carol! Of course, there are also extenuating circumstances for all those scenarios as well, so I'm just going to not blog now.

Merry Christmas Adam, everybody.

No comments: