Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Lafayette's getaway grandeur


OK, I can get behind this one. Lafayette, like south Louisiana in general, is a blast as a weekend trip. I always have fun when I visit. A lot of times, I don't even go as far as doing the things that earned the city its ranking. When I do, though, it's all the more memorable.

So I'll avoid my usual snark unlike most of the times Lafayette has been named best whatever in America. This ranking speaks to exactly what I love about Lafayette — the festivals, the instant friendships, the genuine cultural touchstones and the getaway factor. 

Unlike with many other college towns, you don't have to be rooted in Lafayette events to enjoy Lafayette events.* Indeed, they often make instant converts out of visitors. You don't have to be from the area, or root for a certain team, or even know a whole lot about the event beforehand to have the best time of your life. The only real adjustment is how uninhibited some of it is compared to similar events in other places. ("Where's the beer garden? Oh, it's everywhere?")

I'm told people really enjoy the food and the hospitality, too.

Good show, Lafayette!

*-This observation could be biased by my upbringing in Lafayette, but I never fully fit in there, so that should count for something.

No comments: