Monday, September 29, 2014

Revised Saints record prediction, part II

After that ... thing ... against the Cowboys, I'm revising my ever-so-lofty Saints preseason prediction downward again.

5-11. Maybe.

We've all seen worse Saints games, but those were in worse eras. That's supposed to be the paper-bag past, not the Payton-Brees present. Even if they are back in the abyss, we as fans are not there yet mentally. The Super Bowl and all the playoff runs ... they were just here! What happened?

My wild guess: Sometime in the future, perhaps a year or two from now, we're going to find out about some deep rancor or something else very wrong that is now going on behind the scenes in the Saints camp. This isn't about lack of talent or drive; this is how you function when there's something mentally choking you. I suspect we don't know the half of it. That's the only explanation I can think of for the promise-to-reality ratio of this team that is rapidly approaching 1980 levels.

As I said in the last downward prediction, I hope I'm wrong. There are flashes of greatness and the season is young, and like most people I have no firsthand insight; this is simply my guess. But if I am right, I hope my guys can overcome it and go back to being the team they're capable of being.

No comments: