Friday, August 15, 2014

Ear ringer

Seen on a Facebook group today:

I remember when men did not have any piercings and women only had two piercings, one on each ear lobe.

When I was 6 years old, I lived next door to a male college student who had an earring, a single star stud in his left earlobe. It was weird to me, but I was told that some men wore earrings, usually one, but sometimes more — and that that had been true since at least the hippie days of the late 1960s.

In other words, 28 years ago, I was told about a custom that had been around for at least 20 years prior to that. That means the writer of the post is nostalgic for, at minimum, 48 years ago.

Does the sting of something as benign as earring acceptance really linger for decades? 

In 48 years, I'll be 82, if I'm lucky enough to still be alive then. So I should probably start fixating on something trivial and long-accepted now. Perhaps, different-colored shoes? High hemlines? Beavis and Butt-head? Bungee jumping? Nirvana? Diverse groups of friends? 

Smartphones, most likely. "I remember when all your cell phone did was call people, and you held it to your ear. Your left ear, if you were any kind of lady or gentleman."

Yeah!

No comments: