Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Designated driver, not designated drag


This. A thousand times THIS.

I almost never drink. It's been at least a year since I've had any alcohol. It's almost been that long since I've partied at night (night jobs in new cities tend to foster that, as well as general uninterest). But even when I do go out, I very rarely partake. This really surprises people. Absolutely stuns them. 

I have no compelling reason not to drink. I'm not an alcoholic. I'm not morally opposed to it. I even hold my firewater relatively well. I just don't feel like I have to drink to enjoy myself. I can let go of my inhibitions in the right mood, and I like being able to snap back to sobriety before things get too ridiculous. Apparently it works, because friends who know full well I won't be getting blitzed still like to invite me out with them. Others have insisted I was drunk, because there's no way someone would dance like that otherwise. 

I don't judge others for choosing to drink; it's simply my personal decision not to, or to stop at one. But when the opposite courtesy isn't extended, it does get uncomfortable. So I hope those who would try to enforce their drinkcisions upon me (or other teetotalers) heed this Esquire blog. And then go bottoms-up, because we're still going to have a blast. Then I'll drive you home.

No comments: