Monday, March 17, 2014

A chance encounter

Last night while grabbing dinner, I was cornered by an elderly man who was clearly aching for someone to talk to. He was friendly enough, so I was game for the duration of my meal. We chatted about back ailments and how cellphones adversely affect pacemakers. The usual.

After a while, he asked the question that far too many assertive people are far too comfortable asking perfect strangers:

"Do you like to read?"

Oh, here we go.

"I've got a book I think you'd like."

I gazed over to his table and saw an open book. I couldn't tell what it was, but I know what it usually is in these circumstances. I scrambled to build up the mental steel.

And sure enough ... it was a book by Arianna Huffington.

Didn't see that coming.

This actually piqued my curiosity, so I lingered for a few more minutes. He open to a chapter on energy stocks and told me he lost lots of money in the Enron crash. Then he went on about George W. Bush being a terrible president, a pale shadow of his father and a fascist.

Then he said Obama was a closet Muslim.

Didn't see that coming either.

Still, the man was very nice and I wish him well.

I should get out more often. Or not.

No comments: