Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Bonnie & Clyde & Ian

On Sunday and Monday, the A&E, History and Lifetime networks simulcast the new two-part miniseries Bonnie & Clyde, starring Emile Hirsch, Holliday Grainger, Holly Hunter and William Hurt. And ... who else? Yep!

I'm in the middle, which apparently I have to point out.
I'm at the top left talking with a guy. Inset, HOLY COW IS THAT BONNIE PARKER?!!
Bonnie & Clyde was directed by Bruce Beresford, best known for helming Driving Miss DaisyDouble Jeopardy and Tender Mercies. He gave me instructions on the scene directly above, specifically the nudge. The guy with me thought I was trying too hard at times. As usual when people tell me that, he had a point. I suspect that had a lot to do my complete exclusion from a climactic scene, as well as two other scenes they shot with me (and, for that matter, everything in the courtroom scene at top that wasn't that single frame) that didn't make the cut.

At night, we shot a festival scene at a gazebo, which is disrupted by our titular outlaws and their friends, who shoot a pair of cops dead and peel off in stolen period cars. I was all over the gazebo scene, visiting with friends, clapping at the dancers while leaning on a column and at one point even taking someone's place in the band. Then I react to the gunshots and run off screaming with my fake girlfriend while dodging the getaway car. None of that got in the final print, except for part of my scream. Funny how that works — the more I think I get in something, the less I ultimately see. That doesn't bode well for two films of mine that have yet to come out, where they'd pretty much have to burn holes in the film for me to not get in. But hey, Hollywood is magic!

Not that I blame them, though. Bonnie & Clyde was well-done and riveting, managing to tread as little old ground as a biopic of one of American history's most-told tales as possible. Too much of my Internet-famous face would have marred the 1930s dial-up-modem vibe. The miniseries is worth a look, if you haven't seen it already. It's hard-edged and surprisingly steamy for its respective channels. It's got classic Missouri and Louisiana license plates in it, and old-school journalism, so you know I'm going to show up eventually. In a hat! I mean, come on.

No comments: