Saturday, August 24, 2013

A movie worth self-examining

The Hot Flashes is out now on DVD and Blu-ray.

The first entry in the Definitive Ian Collection.
The movie stars Brooke Shields as a former high school basketball star who discovers that her town's mobile mammogram unit is about to shut down due to lack of funds. To raise the money (and honor the late teammate who started the unit), she puts together a scrappy team of fellow menopausal former stars to take on the current high school champions in a series of three games. The film also stars Wanda Sykes, Daryl Hannah, Virginia Madsen, Camryn Manheim and Eric Roberts. It's surprisingly deep at times and less cheesy than I expected (though it does have its share of cheese). Portions of the profits go to breast cancer charities. A good deal all around.

Also, I'm in it. Take a look:

Hot stuff!
Photobombing the toast.
Between Daryl and Virginia, apparently deciding which one I'd rather make into a purse.
Fist pump!
Face in focus! (This shot lasts like two frames and is difficult to pause.)
These scenes occur at the victory party that takes place after the second game, their first win. (They win that one impressively dirty, by the way.) Read about my filming experience here

Unfortunately, none of my uncharacteristically crack pool-shooting got in. But they did make me appear to have at least some rhythm. Hollywood is magic.

I shot the above frames with my phone as freeze-frames on my laptop. They look a lot better if you buy the film, which you totally should do. For the breasts.

No comments: