Monday, July 22, 2013

Live-blogging the royal birth

It's a hot day today in Lafayette. We've had some scattered showers and that only added to the stifling humidity. Just the act of hauling my bicycle from the car to the storage shed was enough to make me feel like I'd ridden it for 20 miles.

After that I visited my mom at work and discussed with her some pressing matters. Then I came home, ate a plum and read stuff on the Internet. But not too much stuff, because it can mess with your head, especially if you take it at face value. I often have to remind myself that the people most eager to rant online are those with the worst things to say. Come to think of it, I am the author of thousands of Internet pieces. What does that say about me? I can only speculate.

I have a box of Reese's Puffs cereal next to my laptop. It reminds me of Peanut Butter Crunch. Once in the 1980s (I think it was 1987), I got a new plastic foot truck and a box of Peanut Butter Crunch from Kmart. I spent the afternoon sitting on the truck, munching on the cereal and watching a rerun of Sanford and Son. Why do I still remember that? I can only speculate.

This box of Reese's Puffs had in it a Minion toy from Despicable Me 2. It's cute. I'm glad my brother has kids so I could know the joy of these films. 

Is it just me, or do sequel titles seem especially clunky this year? Despicable Me 2. Red 2. Kick-Ass 2. The Smurfs 2. Grown-Ups 2. I get that it's a brand thing, but all of those titles should have stood alone. I'm sure I could come up with better sequel monikers that pay tribute to and improve upon the originals, but this is supposed to be a live blog. For now, there's only time to speculate about those potential titles.

Speaking of titles: one of my first sports of interest as a kid was boxing. In boxing, when you beat the champion, you become the champion. So I thought all sports were like that. I wondered what the point of the Super Bowl was if the title would just transfer the first time the winner lost the next season. Fortunately my brother explained it to me before the World Series and the NBA Finals had a chance to make my head explode.

Oh, Dennis Farina died. That sucks. Such a great actor and only 69 years old. I remember some local band when I was in college taking a picture of Farina looking like the Dos Equis man and making flier art out of it. Made me laugh. R.I.P., D. You almost definitely outlasted that band.

Nate Silver is leaving the New York Times to work for ESPN. Why? Apparently we can only speculate. I, for one, am excited. His first order of business should be to tell everyone exactly how the 2013 NFL season will pan out. I need to know whether or not to buy the premium channels I'll need to catch Saints games this fall.

My guess on the royal birth: it will be a boy. Or a girl. No speculating there.

No comments: