Monday, June 10, 2013

Southwestern style

I'm surprised how many people on this Lafayette Memories Facebook thread prefer "USL" to "UL." 

The way I see it, UL is a much better name for the second-largest public university in Louisiana. The point of the name change (despite the compromising politics involved) was to shake off the regional connotation. As someone who attended the school during the name change in 1999, I admit it took me a while to catch on. But ultimately I loved the change. Once it became habit, there was no going back.

Since then, the university has made a concerted effort to label the school UL or UL Lafayette, and not ULL. The success of that effort is mixed and confined largely to Lafayette. But at least those who say ULL are copping to the name change and everything it implies. Apparently, the name change hasn't even yet reached some of the natives.

I guess it's no accident that most of the people who prefer USL are older. That's the power of nostalgia. 

1 comment:

Nick Istre said...

I still have my USL hockey jerseys, and I'll probably never let go of those. That said, I also prefer "UL" over "USL" for much the same reasons.