Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When the Santorum came marching in

So apparently Rick Santorum came to Lafayette this past weekend. I always joke that such illustrious visits aren't news — Dick Cheney used to come here all the time, because OF COURSE HE DID. But judging by the odd lack of local coverage, it really wasn't news. 

I have no idea what Santorum spoke about in the Cajundome, but I'm sure it involved plenty of nice words about Jesus, family values and why the world would be better if we lived according to the Christian principles that shaped this country when Republicans created it in 1980. And I'm sure he mentioned gays at some point, because THE CHILDREN!

All I know for sure was that he was here to help raise funds for some Catholic school I didn't know existed, and that he told a talk radio station that the education system was failing. Not because of fellow scorched-earth presidential wannabe Bobby Jindal, of course, but because of erosion of family values.

It must be awesome to be Rick Santorum, and be able to answer every single question with "family values." Just like how George W. Bush's answer to everything was "tax cuts" and every religion's answer to inconsistencies is that "God works in mysterious ways." Bulletproof. Keeps you from having to think too hard, which can put painful pressure on the old noggin.

But I'm glad Santorum paid a visit, because that means he isn't the president. And for that I'd like to belatedly add my cheer to the positive reception that no doubt transpired on Saturday.

Family values!

1 comment:

GDad said...

Santorum.

Ick.