Wednesday, February 06, 2013

I feel like mailing this blog


I guess I get that in the age of e-mail, but it’s still depressing.

Incidentally, a major reason for this is that the USPS has defaulted on its pension plan — the one that forces it, with no government help, to have funds on hand for the next 75 years. That seems less to do with the advent of e-mail than it does with absolutely ridiculous financial policy.

(Slightly related digression: Recently, I went to FedEx Office, the artifice formerly known as Kinko’s (and winner of most cringe-inducing corporate name, active category). I printed out some documents with the express purpose of snail-mailing them. After purchasing the printouts, I stuck them in a stamped envelope I brought in, only to discover that the mail slot was gone. I asked the guy behind the counter where it went. He told me they no longer had a mail pickup, and hadn’t for years. “We thought we’d helped the competition long enough,” he said, adding that it was an honor to be nominated for douchiest thing I’ve heard so far in 2013. He said I could go to the post office across the street several blocks away, which was closed at the time. I guess my point is that I’ll have to be more diligent in mailing things now that yet another integral part of life has gotten harder.)

Rest in peace, Saturday delivery. You will be missed. More than I think most people realize at the moment.

1 comment:

Nick Istre said...

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution: The Congress shall have power "To establish Post Offices and post Roads;",

When this was written, a letter sent through the post office was the primary way of communication. In spirit of this clause, why don't we allow the USPS to expand the services they can offer outside of letter and package delivery and printing stamps? Why not have the USPS (or what ever agency it morphs into) maintain fiber optic lines to every house and business, build wireless networks, and sell phones and email accounts, as those are now the primary way of communications now? It would definitely be much more efficient than what we have now even if the Republicans keep putting up roadblocks like the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, and then refuse to actually provide the extra funding for it...

Well yet another crisis made by the Republicans and blamed on unions.

I don't think I'll personally miss Saturday letter delivery, but it's just another step towards privatizing the USPS. I just wonder how some people who are for this move will think the private deliver companies, who themselves depend on the USPS for Saturday and rural deliver, would take up the slack...