Saturday, November 24, 2012

When ignorance is hilarious


Threats against the president are never funny, no matter who's in the Oval Office at a given time.

What makes this hilarious to me are the details of this particular case:

1) Despite using the N-word and the word "assassinate" in her post, she claims she's NOT racist and NOT crazy. Well, of course NOT.

2) Not sure why, but the fact that she was fired from Cold Stone Creamery makes me laugh. The headline made me think she was an attorney or something. Still, it's comforting to know that the ice cream shop doesn't condone racism. So that's good.

3) She was shocked — SHOCKED, I tell ya! — that the Secret Service might investigate a threat against the president. And she still isn't sure what she did wrong.

4) She isn't even registered to vote. Take that, potential felony conviction!

5) The funniest thing is, I actually believe that she just tossed that off as a joke, because she clearly is that stupid. I also think it reflects her real feelings, and there's no turning back from that. 

Ridiculous.

4 comments:

Phineas said...

Does using 'nigger' necessarily make a person racist?

Note: absolutely love your censorship policy -- kudos

Ian McGibboney said...

My answer to your question:
http://ianmcgibboney.blogspot.com/2007/11/give-this-word-up.html

Phineas said...

I'm not so sure. It was a well-written call to end using the term altogether, but I don't think it addresses my specific question: whether or not it necessarily makes someone racist.

I got conflicting views on that from your essay. At one turn you indicated that the term "...exists only to provoke and inflame." but in the very next sentence, which refers to use among and between blacks, as merely a "...lack of sophistication..." That would seem to indicate uses (however out-of-fashion, or lacking good taste) that are not intended to provoke and inflame.

But there was perhaps a hint of an answer to my question in your statement about racist whites asking if they can say it, why can't we? I suppose the meaning therein was that any white person asking that question is inherently racist. Am I correct or did I misinterpret that?

In the film Dogma, actor Chris Rock uttered the line "...nigger still owes me $12!" when asked if he knew Jesus. I thought it was a funny line from Rock, but would it have been funny from a non-black person? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I just wonder about the idea that it necessarily has to be incendiary...

Thanks for pointing me to your essay.

Ian McGibboney said...

I don't think my essay is contradictory. It explores many (frequently clashing) views but arrives at what I think is a nuanced, consistent conclusion.

One of the points is that Chris Rock can say it and he means it differently than a white bigot. That pisses off a lot of whites, and I think it's pretty clear why. To answer your question, yes, I think a white asking that question (why they can't say it if blacks can) has racist tendencies, whether latent or subconscious. Because, really, why else would someone gripe about that? To me, it comes down to a bizarrely ironic sense of equality (i.e., whites should be allowed to do anything anyone else does, though not necessarily vice versa). The injustice!

I'm writing a book right now where one of the white characters freely uses the word. But he does so because I need to convey that he is a bigot, and that he is so only when he is not around other black people. So even he is aware that there's a negative connotation to it. I wrestled with doing that, but I don't think it contradicts my philosophy. Anyone reading the book will know that his views don't reflect mine or the narrator's, nor am I using the word in an immature, shock-jock sense. Or because feel like I'm defying political correctness by saying it.

My intent is different from whites itching to say the word. Those are the ones I worry about.