Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Conversation with an undecided voter

“I’m not sure who I’m voting for on Nov. 6.”

“You mean, in local and statewide races?”

“No, for president.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Interesting ... thinking of going third-party, huh?”
 

“No, it’s not that. I’m going to vote for either Obama or Romney; I just can’t decide which.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Why, is that weird?”

“It’s just that I didn’t think people like you existed.”

“Why wouldn’t we?”


“It just seems like the two candidates are so different that they don’t open themselves up to a close choice.”

“Well, that’s just it. See, I like some of Obama’s positions, but I also like where Romney stands on others.”

“Like what?”

“I like that Obama is dedicated to health care reform, but I don’t like Obamacare.”

“So you like where Romney stands on health care reform?”

“Yes. I mean, I guess. I don’t really know what he’d do, but it’s got to be better than Obamacare.”

“What else?”

“I like how Obama’s been successful with getting Osama bin Laden, regime change in Libya and drawing down in Iraq and Afghanistan. On the other hand, Romney says we need to be strong. If we say we’re strong, the world will know it. That’s important.”

“OK.”

“Both say they want lower taxes. So that’s a wash.”

“Actually, the candidates espouse very different proposals for which tax cuts to keep, with each saying the other’s plan would destabilize the economy.”

“Right. Like I said, they’re exactly the same.”

“Well, there’s also the way they compose themselves. That’s important in a world leader.”

“Obama is calm, cool and collected. That’s good, sometimes. Romney is aggressive, take-charge and tells everyone when it’s their turn to speak. That’s good, sometimes. They’re both good, sometimes. Not a dime. Not a dime.”

“How about abortion rights? Certainly you feel strongly about that.”

“Obama wants them legal and safe. Can’t argue with that. Romney is pro-life. Life is also a good thing. Both like good things. Tough call.”

“This is as exasperatingly hard to write as I imagine it would be to actually hold this conversation.”

“I know, right?”

“I’m not trying to sway your vote in either direction, but consider this — on every topic we’ve discussed, it’s Obama’s actions versus Romney’s vague rhetoric. Do you feel there’s an equivalency there?”

“What does ‘equivalency’ mean?”

“Never mind.”

“I guess I’ll vote for Romney. Maybe.”

“I see you’ve decided. Well, good for you. What finally sealed the deal?”

“My Facebook friend posted a LOLcat about how we needed to throw all the Washington fatcats out on their paws.”

“In other words, you’re a simpleton.”

“I do like to keep things simple, so yeah.”

“Wow."

4 comments:

GDad said...

I work for a Very Large Company, and we just had a little fair where we brought in politicians for local and state races to campaign in an open setting. I just spoke to the D running for representative for the state legislature in my district, and she was very personable and knowledgeable about issues I care about. Then it struck me that I was within a stone's throw of several people that have campaigned or are campaigning vigorously to deny me equal rights as a citizen of this state and country.

Krista DiTucci said...

I seriously LOL'ed when I read this! It reminds me of page 7 from the following article: http://slideshow.nbcnews.com/slideshow/news/swing-state-voters-sound-off-49480284/. International affairs are none of her business?! Talk about delusional!

Ian McGibboney said...

Yeah, looking at her, I suspect she never had to worry about brains or a personality or anything like that.

GDad said...

Ian, that's not fair. Just because she's vapid doesn't mean she's stupid... Oh, wait...