Friday, July 06, 2012

Oh, that's nice


Police have announced that they have arrested and charged Brandon Scott Lavergne in connection with the May disappearance of Mickey Shunick in Lafayette. Just the little bit of evidence disclosed to the public makes it seem like an open-and-shut case. 

But still, this sign is tasteless. For one thing, this picture was taken in between news announcements of his arrest late yesterday and the official police press conference confirming the arrest early this afternoon. That's a very small window at a time when not much was known.

Second, no business looks good when spelling out high emotions on its marquee. It reminds me of when a service station near my house put up after 9/11, "Find out who did it and kill them all!" Maybe Brandon deserves to burn in hell, like the 9/11 masterminds. I doubt anyone will disagree once we know more about this case. But that's exactly why this sign is such a poor gesture — it's trumpeting something that should be a regretful thought. Why not say, "Our thoughts are with you, Mickey"?

I get that emotions are high; I've been following this case from the start. But I feel like we, the good people, can do better than "burn in hell." The search for Mickey brought out a lot of love. I'd like to see more of that on the street.

No comments: