Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Your life flashing before your iPhone

I dig church signs. Sometimes they breathe hellfire. Sometimes they're unintentionally hilarious. And sometimes they're brilliant. This one seen in my former domicile of Springfield, Missouri, is especially apt:

From the Springfield News-Leader
This sign, while brilliant on its face, inadvertently also points out what bothers me about arrogant behavior in general.

Since texting became a thing, I have been nearly hit or driven off the road repeatedly by texting drivers. Experts say texting is on par with or even worse than alcohol as an impediment to driving. So when people say text-driving is worth the risk, or that they’re OK to take the wheel after a couple of drinks, or that seat belts / smoking bans are affronts to their freedom, I scoff. Because you’re not only endangering yourself, you’re endangering me as well, someone who is not doing any of those things but will pay the consequences if you do so.

If you want to visit Jesus faster, fine. But please don’t take me (or anyone else) down/up with you.

No comments: