Thursday, April 26, 2012

A conversation with somebody

“Big election coming up huh, Ian?”

“Yep.”

“Who do you think’s going to win?”

“Definitely Obama. I think he’s starting to recapture the enthusiasm of 2008 and he has the good fortune of running against Mitt Romney.”

“What a square, huh?”

“He’s nothing but right angles.”

“Ha ha! Yeah, I can’t believe the Republicans went with him. Pathetic. Almost as pathetic as Obama has been as president.”

“You think Obama’s been a bad president?”

“Maybe the worst of all time.”

“You’re exaggerating.”

“No, I’m not. At least you know with a Republican president they’re going to be vile and greedy. Obama gave us a glimmer of hope. That’s worse.”

“I think Obama’s been great in the face of historic adversity and opposition. The presidency is a cauldron of compromise to begin with, especially for a progressive president who has to buck unstoppable greed to represent. Not to mention the unbelievable mess he inherited. I don’t like everything he does, either, but all in all I believe he’s been a terrific president.”

“You’ve bought into the propaganda. I’m disappointed in you. Surely you, of all people, should know better.”

“It’s an imperfect system with imperfect people. Saying I support someone within it shouldn’t make me a robot.”

"You're an idiot if you think any politicians are good. The truth is, they're all bad."

“Every one of them? Equally?”

“Yeah. They should throw out all the bums. Start over fresh.”

“Then what?”

“Elect leaders who respect the Constitution, like Ron Paul.”

“Ron Paul? Isn’t he one of the bums you want to throw out?”

“Why would I want to throw him out?”

“Because he’s an incumbent, and you just said they’re all bad.”

“Dr. Paul represents what this country can be and must become.”

“He said he wouldn’t have voted for the Civil Rights Act because it infringes upon property rights.”

“But he’s said it consistently!”

“That’s what matters.”

“Yes. When you’re representing thousands or millions of people, you can’t afford to be flexible. It’s a sign of weakness. Obama bends all the time to get things done, as do so many others. It’s awful.”

“So you think we’d be better off if every politician had Asperger’s and refused to negotiate, ever. Doesn’t sound like much of anything would happen.”

“That’s a small price to pay for principled government. Which is what we don’t have now.”

“So what you’re saying is, all politicians are bad and must go, but the one you like gets to stay.”

“I’m saying we have a corrupt system and it’s got to go.”

“So it’s the system?”

“Yes. Lobbyists, big money, special interests ... they buy our legislation.”

“So which is it? The system or the politicians? If it’s the system, then it doesn’t matter which politicians are in office. That’s a big difference.”

“Both. They’re both bad. Everything is bad.”

“So what do you suggest we do?”

“I don’t think there’s anything we can do.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. We’re pretty much fucked.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well, then, you’re part of the problem.”

“Oh, really? So how, pray tell, do I become part of the solution? Do I throw my hands up in the air, sigh and say, ‘everything is fucked’ like you? Gee, that was easy! I feel so much better now! Like a burden has been lifted. No more worrying about how to fix political corruption, or solving our problems, or even voting — because none of it matters! It can’t be fixed! And I’m smart enough to know that now, unlike the sheeple! So now I can stop trying to find rational, workable answers to our problems. Leave that to the suckers and their shreds of optimism and civic duty. I’m above all that now. Phew!”

“Flip-floppers like you make me sick.”

[I walk out of the room.]

1 comment:

GDad said...

I think I'd have left the room a bit earlier. My tolerance for BS has gone way down since I turned 40.