Tuesday, March 06, 2012

This really happened


Last night's letter to Neal Boortz was inspired by a conservative friend of mine's sharing of his blog on Facebook. I made some of the points that I eventually turned into my piece. What you see above is the first five of what eventually became 45 comments (turns out it was not so easy after all). To the original poster's credit, he did hold his own after this thread got going. Him and a couple of others kept me on my toes. The person flinging garbage at me here is not any of those people; he's someone I don't know. He's also the reason I'm posting this here.

In nearly eight years of blogging and seven years of Facebooking, I've come across this type of commenter many times. They toss off a glib one-liner about how everything you say is wrong, usually sarcastically, daring you to defend your point. And when you do, they act like it's no big deal and retreat. They'll insist that your points aren't worth rebutting, which is why they won't do it. Even though, a few minutes before, they found it worthwhile to try to trip you up. It's almost disappointing, because you were interested in seeing how they would defend an indefensible point, for the psychological insight if nothing else.

I once even had a guy declare his "retirement" from commenting after I noted that Karl Rove had stolen Democratic Party letterhead in college and used it to announce a party to homeless people. The guy accused me of making it up, and you had to wipe his saliva off your keyboard. Once I posted a link to a Washington Post article in which Rove himself had admitted to the so-called "youthful prank," the guy cited how effort-intensive the debate had become and said he would retire. It was a classy exit, if you're a moron.

I'd show that thread, but the blogger who started it long ago scrubbed all evidence of his site from the Internet. It's a habit of his. Because people of his type "pass" and "retire" a lot. It's their way of saying, "I bit off more than I could chew, and I don't even have teeth."

Their moms wear combat boots.

2 comments:

Nick Istre said...

You have to understand projection, Ian. When a conservative hears a liberal[1] citing facts to support a point, the conservative has to believe that the liberal is just making shit up. That because that is the normal conservative way to support their own points is to make shit up. Like the point that Sandra Fluke is a slut is backed up by the made up shit of "she was the one that brought up sex, and she was the one demanding that taxpayers cover her $3000 a year for contraceptives, because she has to pop a pill before each time she has sex".

1 - Of course, the word "liberal" seems to mean anybody who does not keep lock-step with the latest in talking points from the GOP/Rush/wherever they get the latest talking point...

Michael said...

Bet I remember who the blogger in question is...