Thursday, February 23, 2012

Of hell and tits

During Mardi Gras, I found myself walking through a neighborhood in Lafayette where I used to take walks as a child. As I strolled through what was once the fraternity row at UL, I walked right over something that immediately provoked a long-dormant source of fear:

I pronounced it, "Titka."
Back in the 1980s, this now-empty lot was the frat house of Pi Kappa Alpha, popularly known as the Pikes. I frequently passed by this house when taking walks with my mom, and also on the bus ride to and from school each day. Like most frat houses, it was an oftentimes raucous place full of dudes and open doors and tall, colorful letters standing in the yard.

I thought it was a satanic cult. One that not only wanted to kidnap me, but had the powers to enslave me if I looked any of its members in the eyes. How else do you explain the horrible, mutated T, the weird name or Hell Week? It's funny now, but it bothered me for years. I'd beg my mom not to pass by, though I always stopped short of telling her why. Eventually, I stopped thinking about it without ever resolving the fear, which I guess is why it came up again.

Later, I'd learn what fraternities were, which gave me more accurate reasons to hate them.

Except for you, Pikes. You're OK. Please don't turn me evil.

1 comment:

E.J. said...

How funnily cute!