Wednesday, November 23, 2011

You're welcome

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. Even as a kid, I often liked it more than Christmas. Here are some reasons Thanksgiving is awesome:

1) It's like Christmas without the gift obligations.

2) I really, really, really like turkey.

3) The pressure-free assurance that is Detroit Lions football.

4) When it comes to atmosphere, the Macy's parade beats a lava lamp any day.

5) Being a single and somewhat immature guy, I'm never asked to cook a Thanksgiving meal.

6) Back before I was old enough to truly appreciate it, we used to play street football.

7) My favorite thing about Thanksgiving night in Springfield was passing by the Toys 'R' Us on my way home from work and being grateful that I had better things to do ... like not that.

8) Cranberry sauce is pretty good too.

9) We'd often drive to my my grandmother's house in Baton Rouge, eat lunch there and then go back to my other grandparents' house (next door to mine) and join that party in progress.

10) "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" is the best Thanksgiving movie ever made. And that would be true even if there were other Thanksgiving movies.

11) You can fall asleep while watching "Planes, Trains & Automobiles." Or while playing street football.

12) For most of my childhood, Thanksgiving was my only time in front of a camcorder, so that made my cameos all the more special. Also, at age 7, I drank a beer on camera.

13) Christmas music seems fresh again.

14) Pumpkin pie rules.

15) Fox News doesn't go on about the War on Thanksgiving, and how secular liberal killjoys want to call it Eat Day. Or Turkey Day. Or Detroit Lions Day. Or We Killed All the Indians Day.

16) I can't think of a 16th reason. And I don't have to, because it's a holiday, dammit! Happy Thanksgiving. Eat. Be merry. And make sure those are, in fact, pillows.

2 comments:

Mustang Bobby said...

#3 for me, too. I used to go see the Lions play on Thanksgiving in the old Tiger Stadium, then come home for dinner.

And #5, too, even though I'm 59. I've been invited elsewhere, and I'm taking two store-bought pies, Reddi-Whip, and ice cream.

Happy Thanksgiving, Ian.

GDad said...

In #14, I read the word "rules" as a noun instead of a verb. I couldn't figure out what those rules were. Then I reread it. Crisis averted.

And my verification word is "flopsys."