Friday, November 18, 2011

Lafffffffffffffffffff

Last night, while grocery shopping, I came up with a joke. And I couldn’t stop laughing. I’m actually understating that; I was laughing as uncontrollably as my bronchitis had me coughing last week. People turned and stared, but I couldn’t help it. 

The joke was funny in a warmed-up-and-drunk-comedy-club-crowd kind of way. I was picturing myself as a stand-up comedian not being able to get to the punch line, which made me laugh even harder. Then I thought of other things that made me laugh, and they made me laugh too.

For what it’s worth, here’s the joke:

“I went to the store and bought some country-style orange juice. Turns out the country was Serbia.”

OK, so it loses probably 99.9 percent of its hilarity when read. I suspect that most comedy does. Even comedy as powerful as mine. Oh.

Stupid little jokelets like this pop up in my mind and crack me up all the time — as anyone who’s ever ridden on a bus or been to a funeral with me can attest. And I’m sure it’s annoying sometimes. But I’ve also noticed that it often makes other people smile or even laugh as well (and it sure works on me). Laughter is like a contagious yawn for good. It can make a crummy day better. Hopefully that’s what I, as a weird guy, did last night for somebody.

I like making people feel happy. I’m not always able to do that, so I really feel special when I can. Even if you don’t know what I’m thinking, I hope you can still feel the love.

Love is a taste everyone can enjoy. Just like Serbian orange juice.

2 comments:

GDad said...

I did laugh out loud on that one.

Ian McGibboney said...

Yay! Thanks. I knew I wasn't THAT crazy.