Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You’re doing it wrong

Yesterday, I received an e-mail that said this: 

Hello!



I just want to thank you for your wonderful blog ianmcgibboney.blogspot.com.



I read the first post "Herman Cain and the race card card" and then I spent another hour on your blog by reading your posts with pleasure :) Every article is interesting and easy to read. I really like the "Tribute to a true winner". 

Now, I’ve received real e-mails like this before, as well as obvious spam. I can usually tell the difference because the former tends to come from actual human beings calling me Ian, while the latter tends to address me by “McGibboney” or “you.” (Also, no one can spend only an hour at this blog. Seriously?) 

This letter was a tougher call than usual. But what really got me with this one was simple logistics — if someone really spent an hour at my blog, I’m sure they could have found something better to cite than what were, at the time, the two most recent blogs. It’s like all those book reports I wrote in school when I’d faked reading the book: “The first two chapters were my favorite.” 

Anyway, let’s continue: 

My job is to persuade bloggers to link to our site. 

OK, that really appeals to my sense of...something or other.



I really love my job! We have a friendly team and good management, but unfortunately I have no idea how to convince a blogger to link to us, I'm afraid I might lose my job because of it :( 

How could you not love a job that hinges entirely on your ability to convince Ian McGibboney to link to you? Given that I’m so bad at keeping my links to friends’ blogs current and I never link to commercial sites, maybe I’m responsible for the recession. I should really step up my game for the good of the country, what with this economic powerhouse I apparently possess. 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention his site!

3 comments:

Mustang Bobby said...

I tell them, "Sure, you can link to my site. My rate is US $50,000 for the first year, payable in advance by certified check drawn on a U.S. bank. The second year is $10. If you agree, I'll have my attorney send you a contract."

For some reason I never hear back from them.

Mike Lynch said...

Ian, my name is Mike. I've been doing a blog about cartooning for over 5 years. I just got that same email you did. It addressed me by name and cited a couple of entries of mine. Of course, it's 100% spamola. Whoever heard of a guy whose job consists of getting people to link to his corporate site anyway? I'll take Mustang Bobby's advice and send 'em an advertising invoice.

Thanks for posting about this.

dogimo said...

McGibboney, thanks for trying to help out Serge a bit by repeating his call for help, or the key elements of it at least. I myself just did the same thing on my blog. He was right about his link not being a good fit for my blog - but I'm hoping my commenters can come up with tips for him on how to persuade bloggers!

At least, I think yours is also Serge. My guy was Serge. He totally seemed legit, and with an appeal like that I'm sure it's the same guy.