Thursday, October 20, 2011

Help is weakness making your body hurt

Sorry to be so reactive lately. I blame Facebook. Its new sharing system has spiked the rate people share pictures by 70,000 percent. And as you might expect, I have a lot of opinionated friends. And tonight, one of them is passing this on to all his liberal buddies, like me:

I'm not sure who this guy is, but he looks like what he's saying.
I've heard the sentiment a lot, mostly from libertarians, that all good things are strictly voluntary. Which means they consider taxes, social programs, health care reform and anything else like those things to be forms of coercion.

Personally, I think a better example of coercion is rape. I'd say it's horribly wrong to equate rape with taxes, but given that Ayn Rand is a libertarian heroine, and she thought rape was fine and dandy, I'm not sure it's necessary.

Anyway, back to the quote. This is usually where I'd say that the quote is well-intentioned — but in this case, I don't think it is. This is a statement about compassion from someone who has none and doesn't want to have any. What he's saying is, "I'd help the poor and suffering if I thought they were deserving of my help. But they aren't. Is there an IRS agent in that bush? Duck!!"

Yeah, I'm sure that in this guy's ideal world, everyone gets the help they need through the benevolence of the most fortunate. Because that's totally how the world works. Wasn't it Gordon Gekko who said that? Hey, maybe if that definition of "moral credit" was a real thing in this world, the big bad government might never have to step in. But it isn't, so it does.

We all have to pay our taxes and sometimes that money goes to things that help others. That's how society works. If you disagree, get off our roads, schools, parks, Internet networks and anything else funded by or supplemented with tax dollars. Until you do, you're a beneficiary of compassion. Deal with it, just like I have to deal with my tax money aiding those who think the best way to fix government is to elect people who want to destroy it. But again, that's the price of living in society. 

Nothing's free.

2 comments:

GDad said...

That picture looks like famous magician and atheist, and somewhat famous libertarian, Penn Jilette, but you may want to check before posting an official announcement to that effect.

Ian McGibboney said...

Ah, I believe you're right. I should know that because I have a BS box set.