Sunday, August 01, 2010

Happy Sunday


So I was watching Pastor John Hagee's program this morning. The only reason I did so was the reason I tend to watch any TV show: because of channel inertia. I had caught Saturday Night Live last night, which reminded me how much Abby Elliott is definitely my type, and the TV was still on channel 12. Also, I was curious in that same academic sense that compels me to read rich-bastard magazines and watch "Fireproof" on YouTube.

When I think of the reasons that people go to church, things like clearing your conscience, feeling inner peace and a feeling of community come to the forefront.

I can only imagine what compels people to go to a Hagee service. I'm not saying that because I disagree with his politics (though I do, vehemently) or because I don't go to any church. I'll bypass the fact that his heavy emphasis on world politics and Obama-prompted outrage over government spending should repeal his tax-free status, really giving him something to complain about. Or that he rails against greed when, as the head of a mega-ministry, he once said, "I deserve every dime I'm getting."

No, I just don't get what gets thousands of people each Sunday morning to think, "I will get up early, put on my finest clothing and drive over to an arena to hear about Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and why our American currency is being devalued. And I want this lecture to be full of hellfury and brimfire, yet still somehow fall flat. And I want to be told to repeat key statements of said sermon as if I'm learning a foreign language. Finally, I hope Pastor Hagee begins with a reminder of what a powerful force he is and how his sermon will blow me away." Judging by the muted reaction of the crowd throughout most of the service, even they apparently agree with me.

I'm not being snide; I'm genuinely curious. He doesn't seem to succeed as either a preacher or as a pundit. Maybe he should get someone who looks like Abby Elliott to do his legwork. Amen.

Here I am pretending to play guitar:

7 comments:

venessalewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
venessalewis said...

All of those megachurches and their corrupt "ministers" make me want to vomit. Obama is not what is wrong with America. These clowns and their corruption, god peddling fundamentalism gives birth to more venom, sin and hypocrisy than any politician could. My grandmother has donated to Oral Roberts her whole life. No amount of convinving would make her understand that her money would be put to better use giving to local charities rather than "buying grace" from that devil.

Tom Alday said...

Just like a liberal, always trying to tell people what to do with their own money.

Hathor said...

Is he at least charming? He must have something going for him to be able to have a mega church?

Ian McGibboney said...

I don't personally find him charming. He's a loudmouth, fear-mongering blowhard, and his son is even more so. But apparently lots of people like that sort of thing.

Michael said...

Whereas conservatives, Tom, simply want to take all the money for themselves so nobody else gets to decide how to use it.

Ian McGibboney said...

Glenn Beck has no problem telling people to sink all of their money into gold and pathological entrepreneurs have no problem bilking investors for billions.

So yeah, if someone I know and love is doing that, I will interfere.