Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mining MySpace

It's hard to imagine now, but there was a time when I blogged on MySpace almost as regularly as I do here. Those blogs were sometimes exactly the same as the ones here — and, in the earliest incarnations, were simply promos of that week's Not Right material — but more often were more personal observations, intended mainly for close friends. Some of them will probably never be suitable for a wider audience.

On the other hand, many of them are really well-written and are the kind of detailed, uncensored commentary that got me excited about writing in the first place. They are priceless snapshots of my observations from 2006-08, and I'll be sharing some of them here from time to time. Also, stuff like this:

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ouch!

Yesterday I donated blood. Not exactly the blood bank's A-squad out there.

During the screening, the nurse asked me if I was allergic to anything, "rusty needles, bitchy nurses? If you are, I'll send you to the other nurse because I'm mean." Then she said my pulse was too high. "Am I making you nervous or something? Do you not like giving blood? Go sit outside and we'll try again in a minute."

When I gave blood in February, my pulse was 64. This girl had me up to 110. And not in the good way.

Finally, I got down to a barely acceptable 90 (by sitting on the floor and in a corner, to everyone's amusement), and got sent to a very nice nurse with a great sense of humor. I spent the session assuring a co-worker who'd never donated (and I'd never met) before that it was all fun and games. And that it saves lives.

On the other hand, I felt lethargic and absent-minded afterwards, which has never happened to me in the past. Also, the prick point still hurts, which is rare for me when the needle's going in, never mind 11 hours later.

And on top of that, they didn't even give me the free pan-pizza voucher. Not that that's why I did it, but still...that's just piling on!

Friday, August 03, 2007

Fair, my ass!

Yesterday I went to the Ozark Empire Fair, my first-ever Midwestern fair experience. $8 just to get in.

Every ride ticket cost $1 each and every ride was at least four tickets. And the rides lasted half as long as any I'd ever been to before. The entire place was putrid with the combined aroma of fried pork and goat excrement. And I didn't even get to see Eddie Money, who plays tonight.

And, at one point, I saw a guy wearing a "Be the reason" shirt from UL. Huh? Turns out he was a Springfield native going to school there, and his mom used to work where I work now. Small, if awkward, world. I'm not all that sure they believed me.

Oh, well. At least there were tractors to look at.











"Eat your beans," says my first MySpace profile pic from September 2006!

No comments: