Thursday, May 06, 2010

Where's the tea party for prayers?

I don't understand the uproar about the court challenge and possible cancellation of the National Day of Prayer.

As far as I can tell (and I guess it all depends on who you ask), faith and prayer are supposed to be personal things. Also as far as I can tell (again, depends on who you ask), we have separation of church and state in the U.S. So why does a federally sanctioned day really matter?

Does it really have an effect on your faith if a president honors or doesn't honor some symbolic designation? Would you be truly mad if Barack Obama, the very same president many of you accuse of being a Marxist Muslim with the crazy Christian pastor, couldn't officially sanction your religion? Funny how that works.

Where I live, they're still doing all their prayer events and church leaders said they will continue to do so. And while a disturbing amount of politicians attend these things, they are at least privately funded, so that's OK by me. Have all the prayer you want with breakfast. It's not my call, anyway. Nor should it be anyone else's.

Bottom line: If a court decision is enough to send your faith crumbling, then you need more fiber in your spiritual diet.

And now you know why I'm not a preacher.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

Amen!