Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My decade in life: 2004

Jan. 1 - Eat my last meal with meat for two months, as I vow to try vegetarianism. Unfortunately, my new diet does not swear off Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, and I actually gain a lot of weight.

February - Lose my college ID and have to take a new picture. I still consider it the worst picture I’ve ever taken. This is made worse by hearing three times in a week how much better I used to look. Make vow to get back in shape.

2/24 - I can’t remember Mardi Gras.

March - While washing my truck in preparation for a memorable first date, I accidentally click on the cabin lights. By evening, my battery’s completely dead. Have to take my dad’s trash-strewn truck instead. This is followed not long after by the fuel pump dying, also while on a date. Great.

4/24 - My brother gets married. I serve as best man. Hilarity and heartwarming hijinks ensue.

5/8 - Can’t remember my birthday. Probably had a final or a conference track meet or both.

5/31 - 6/1 - With my parents and sister off to Disney World and I alone in the house puppy-sitting, I sit at the computer and create a blog on impulse. I don’t stop until 6 a.m., after which I e-mail several of my friends to tell them about “Ian McGibboney: Not Right.” As far as I know, only one of them ever looks at it.

June - While blogging in the middle of the night, I hear a sound like a gunshot. It’s the sound of a kitchen-ceiling panel ripping out, which takes part of the ceiling fan with it. The hole remains to this day.

Not long afterward, the ceiling fan directly above our computer also rips out, also while I’m blogging in the middle of the night (and while it’s running!). Misses me by inches. Get deathly scared of the fan directly above my bed.

Summer - Moonlight as a videographer for the Louisiana Swamp Gators, a Lafayette-based football team in the NAFL (Motto: “For the love of the game.”). The guys pay for uniforms and bus fare to travel as far as Alabama on the weekends. A really fun experience.

July-ish - Visit the Polka Dot Camp for what turns out to be the last time. Wouldn’t visit Butte La Rose again for five years. Truly a missed opportunity.

August - Get really into Mad Max for some reason.

September - A high school classmate of mine is killed in Iraq. I attend his funeral, which is a sad kind of reunion.

10/16 - Critique a book by young conservative pundit Ben Ferguson. Bizarrely, the blog post ranks among the top Google searches of his name for years, and is still 19th.

11/2 - Dubya wins re-election. I am genuinely shocked and cry all night. Get heckled a lot at school the next day.

Christmas - Get a surprise gift: My first cell phone. Also, the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD, which I watch (somewhat awkwardly) with my German girlfriend.

9 comments:

Nathan said...

You went to my wedding in June. I've got your signature in the guestbook to prove it. :-)

Ian McGibboney said...

I can't remember EVERY autograph, my friend...

Just kidding. Your wedding and swimming party were a lot of fun. I remember leaving something at Bridget's house (a towel?) that I had to come back for the next day. Good times. How's it going?

Barry said...

Is the polka dot camp gone?

Ian McGibboney said...

Nope. It's still in the family, but we sold it. It's got a new, updated dot design.

Nathan said...

It's going great. We're back in Lafayette, got a 2 year old little girl, and another one due in May. Took the leap and bought a house in the fall. We're real adults now.

Next time you're down drop a line. We'll do lunch. Be good to see you again.

Barry said...

Thanks for answering the question about the camp. I am orginially from between Catahoula and St. Martinville. When I was a child we would go to Pat's from time to time and would pass by the camp. It was a *big* deal. Something recently made me think about it and I was wondering if it was still there. The next time I go to my parent's I will have to go through Butte LaRose and see the camp again. Thanks again.

Cynthia said...

My great grandmother and her family lived in Butte La Rose and I have fond memories of the Polka Dot house. My dad and uncles now own the small yellow home down the road. I would LOVE to see a picture of it, in it's day as I remember it.

Ian McGibboney said...

Cynthia, I have many photos of the Polka Dot Camp in all its glory. I shall post them sometime.

Barry said...

Please do post pictures of the Polka Dot camp. I would love to see it again. I have been to my parents a few times recently but I have not had the chance to pass through Butte LaRose. Before I go though I will have to ask my mother where exactly it is because I do not want to miss it.