Saturday, July 04, 2009

Sarah Palin, governor of ADD

Can you imagine if, in late 2006, Barack Obama had resigned his Senate seat for no apparent reason? And then announced his presidential candidacy the following February? What would the massive fallout have been from the right?

"Barack Obama is nothing but a terminally ambitious politician who will do anything to climb up to the ultimate seat of power, even if it means ignoring his sworn duty to represent the people of his state. His resignation only makes those priorities all that much clearer. If he can't even be bothered to finish his single term in high office, what chance does he stand as president?"

In other words, it wouldn't have been much different than it actually was, but it would have been true.

Keep this in mind if Sarah Palin decides to run for president, because her resignation from the governorship of Alaska is only going to make this more hypocritical/entertaining.

As quoted by the Kansas City Star, "Palin said she was taking 'my fight for what’s right in a new direction.' She said she could be more effective and better serve Alaska and the country from outside the governor’s office.

"She said she had decided against running for re-election as Alaska’s governor, and believed it was best to leave office even though she had over a year left in her term.

"'Many just accept that lame duck status, and they hit that road,' she said. "They draw a paycheck. They kind of milk it. And I’m not going to put Alaskans through that."

I'm no politician, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. When you're elected, the assumption is that you're going to fulfill your obligation, not just quit when you get tired of doing the job. Running with the lame-duck analogy also suggests support for euthanasia, which may undermine Palin's conservative agenda. If such a thing is even possible.

Well, at least Palin consulted the people before tendering her resignation. "People" meaning her kids, which speaks well of her family values as well as her love for democracy:

Star: "'I polled the most important people in my life, my kids, where the count was unanimous,'" she said. "Well, in response to asking, 'Hey, you want me to make a positive difference and fight for all our children’s future from outside the governor’s office?' it was four yeses and one 'hell, yeah!' And the 'hell, yeah' sealed it."

Wow! She lets her kids say "hell"? And is the fifth kid talking already? Does Sarah always ask her children politically loaded questions like that? "Hey, you want to wash the dishes and make a positive difference in the future of this kitchen's cleanliness?" "Hell no, mom, I hate America."

I wonder how Palin is going to effect positive change better when she's not governor. The PTA, perhaps? As a gadfly at Wasilla council meetings? Maybe a forceful letter to the editor? The options are nearly boundless!

If Palin's trying to battle that stereotype of her being stupid, this isn't going to help. Politically, this is about as certain a career-killer as they come that doesn't involve dead (human) bodies. She must have made a bar bet to answer the question, "How can I make myself even less electable than Mark Sanford?"

The roar of disapproval following the announcement from conservative circles was deafening. Oh no, it hasn't been. It's been mixed at best, which only goes to show that Palin has a lot of devoted fans who are as fanatical as they accuse Obama supporters of being. Her support in the wake of this decision is a culmination of two conservative tenets of late: 1) allegiance to party and politics at all cost and 2) an irrational hatred for government. If public service mattered, Palin wouldn't be hailed for giving up the governor's chair over the perception that simply sitting in it made her an elitist, establishment politician. Her decision to forgo serving the people would not take a back seat to campaigning for other Republicans. This says so much about the state of today's Republicans, and why they deserve to be in the wilderness.

They should watch their feet while they're there. We all know Palin's shooting prowess. Which is exactly why I hope she runs in 2012.

Happy Independence Day!

6 comments:

NOLA Progressive said...

I think we have finally reached a point where a candidate like Palin is no longer a serious threat. Last November seems to be a pretty clear statement on that. Sure, she has an almost cult-like adoration amongst a certain demographic (most of which apparently live within 50 miles of me ugh), but it seems that demographic is no longer even close to a representative sample of the population at large.

In the end, even conservatives will shy away from such a vapid individual and opportunist. This is not to say that the conservatives couldn't put up a real threat, but I certainly don't believe that Palin is it.

It is interesting to watch her soap opera-like political career now though and to begin to see how much graft and corruption goes along with it.

NOLA Progressive said...

Oh wow. I see you have gone to comment approval. Kudos. I must say you're zest for expressive freedom and tolerance of opposing viewpoints was and is much stronger than mine. I can only imagine our mutual, less than desirable commentor spawned this change. For what it's worth, I would have succumbed to cutting him off long before you did.

Ian McGibboney said...

NOLA, Palin-watching is a hobby of mine. Cult-like is a very good way to put it. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see her crop up regularly on Fox News or stumping for GOP candidates or anything apart from raising her kids or serving the public like she was elected to do.

And yes, I am moderating for the time being. I hate it, and have always hated it. I think it slows dialogue and is just more work for me. I don't mean to silence anyone, but TJenkins really is the catalyst. If he has anything good to say, fine, I'll post it. But the harassment is over. I don't do this so just some sick asshole can talk about anything but what I wrote for 20 posts a day. He and his ilk have come and gone over the years, but enough is enough.

NOLA Progressive said...

Absolutely. Like I said your patience and tolerance stretched far beyond what I ever could have mustered. Like I've said before though, even freedom of speech has its limitations (shouting fire in a crowded theater analogy), and he routinely uses some of the most hateful and offensive rhetoric and just plain for the fun of it type of insults. It is an absolutely reasonable move in this forum.

Nick said...

I think her viability as a candidate takes a hit with this move, though I have seen crazier things. While I think she is a nice lady and just as qualified as Obama to be President (I know you'll disagree, but I don't care. Not the point of this comment), she was never my choice for VP or future GOP candidate.

Therefore, to me the more important question is Will Alaska have to hold a special election?

I've long been a believer that if a current office holder chooses to run for something else or voluntarily step down during their term, they (or their campaign) should have to foot the cost for the special election. The taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for a politician who decides they want another job half-way through the term they begged votes to serve in.

Ian McGibboney said...

NOLA - It seems to have worked. He hasn't been back since I implemented the feature. And it's not like I'd censor everything he said either; just the insults. Which I guess does mean everything.

Nick - You're right, I do disagree with that. Palin's tenure as governor was almost as long as Obama's term in the U.S. Senate, but that's it. Obama had more experience at the state level and, more importantly, is intelligent and intuitive.

Also, I think there would be holes in your proposal. It would discourage a lot of people from even seeking higher office, and the cost of elections is negligible to, say, the amount of money unaccounted for by contractors in the Iraq war.