Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Memorial Day thought

When describing American military might, people often say:

"If it weren't for us, the world would be speaking German!"

I'm not suggesting that the sentiment behind it is misguided. But why single out "speaking German?" As if that's the worst thing that could have happened! This trivializes the accomplishments of all the Allied troops in World War II. The real saying should go something like,

"Were it not for our troops, we'd be living under Nazi tyranny"

or, "Were it not for our troops, we'd be incinerating our Jews, gays, blacks and all other minorities"

or, "Were it not for our troops, we'd be a world occupied by the most extremist forces this world has ever known."

The threat of the Axis powers was very real and very perilous. German is a high school elective. What I'm saying is, give veterans the real credit they deserve.

Happy Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Depends on where you live, Ian. German was a high-school elective when I started high school back in the Dark Ages. But after my first year, the teacher quit to take a better job in another school district, and my district decided not to continue offering it. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't started offering it since.

Ian McGibboney said...

Good point, Michael. I always took French, myself, but German was offered at my high school. But tyranny isn't an elective anywhere - not officially, anyway. I don't think.