Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Gun-clingers and other swine

Got this from a member of the Louisiana Republican State Central Committee:

Friends— Please take a moment to complete the following form within the next 24 hours. I have been a member of the NRA for years and for the first time in my memory the NRA is offering a 1 year free membership to everyone who completes the attached form and return emails. Please complete the form and send in for a 1 year free membership to the NRA. This organization is protecting our 2nd Amendment Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Thank you very much to each of you for your activism and please forward this to everyone and lets try to get 20 million members in the NRA.

Subject: FREE NRA MEMBERSHIPS, NO STRINGS ATTACHED, 1-YR The NRA is giving FREE 1-yr memberships to everyone that wants to join. Please join and pass it around. They are trying to build up their membership against anti-gun laws OBAMA [SCARY!] is trying to pass.

http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp

You know, I admire these guys. Sticking to their guns - literally - when there's a threat out there actually sort of worth being concerned about. I haven't heard anything about Obama wanting to repeal the Second Amendment (and that's despite all those shootouts), but I have heard that swine flu is spreading somewhat. Don't you love the priorities of these swine?



Speaking of the swine flu, I see no reason to be afraid. Concerned, yes. Vigilant, yes. But not paranoid, at least in the Bushian, plastic-sheeting-and-duct-tape sense. One person has died in the U.S. from the outbreak, a Mexican toddler. More than one-fifth of U.S. cases originated from a single school in New York. There is at least some logic to its spreading pattern. Take precautions, but be smart.

In the meantime, the Centers for Disease Control reminds you not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Unless you cough or sneeze, in which case cover your mouth and nose with a tissue. I guess you don't touch the tissue?

Screw this. I quit breathing.

6 comments:

USAF61 said...

From an NRA "gun and religion clinger":

Now that I have discovered your blog, I will file the URL in my Recycle Bin, and then empty it.

Ian McGibboney said...

Well, I'm a fan of recycling myself. I'm glad we can find common ground in such a divisive time.

Nick Istre said...

Hey, did you know I could protect myself from the swine flu with my Beretta? I didn't know that either! Apparently, this is why we must protect the Second Amendment from threats-that-aren't-really-threats so we can protect ourselves from infectious diseases!

Snark aside, as a gun owner, I wouldn't join the NRA even if it was free to do so. It's unfortunate because the NRA does have some good firearms safety and handling classes I'd like to take. But as long as any money I spend to take those goes towards the political (and highly partisan) wing of the organization, the less likely I am willing to part with it to them. I'd rather donate to the ACLU in that respects.

Ian McGibboney said...

Nick, director Richard Donner says the same thing. He says he joined it when he was a kid, when it focused mostly on the safety aspect, but quit later as it became steeply political. Norman Schwarzkopf, of all people, did the same thing.

GumboFilé said...

I dropped my NRA membership years ago for similar reasons.

Nick, I'll join the ACLU if you will.

NOLA Progressive said...

Just the right amount of snark in there to be a fun read and make a good point. Considering we have the NRA base fighting programs that could actually made an iota of a difference such as the Orleans gun buy back program, well timed post.