Wednesday, March 11, 2009

David Vitter can't control his impulses

(From Raw Story via Democratic Underground)

The Republican senator who found himself on a DC madam's client list is drawing new attention over "impulse control."

After missing a flight last Thursday from Washington to New Orleans, Louisiana Sen. David Vitter opened an armed security door and went off on a United Airlines employee, according to a report filed Wednesday by Roll Call.

The door sounded a security alarm.

Vitter had arrived at the gate for a flight from Dulles Airport, only to find that the door had been closed twenty minutes prior to departure.

After setting off the security alarm, the Louisiana senator proceeded to dress down an airline employee who told him entering the restricted area was forbidden. He invoked his standing as a senator, delivering a "do-you-know-who-I-am" tirade, the paper said.

I've never been a fan of David Vitter. But between this and the whole hookers-and-diapers flap, I can barely remember his politics anymore. He does appear to be a hypocrite in every way that matters, from "family values" to the rule of law. In that sense, he fits right in with today's Republican Party.

It doesn't surprise me at all that a politician from the party responsible for the PATRIOT Act and whose policies reflect fear and excess precaution would say, "Nope, that doesn't apply to me." Way to set a fantastic example, sir.

I've been out of Louisiana for more than two years now, so it's possible I'm missing something. But can't the state scare up at least a few politicians better than David Vitter, Ray Nagin or Bobby Jindal? Even if they're Republicans? (Judging by the 2008 election numbers, they'll pretty much have to be.) I remember following the last gubernatorial race and feeling like voting in it would have been like eating in a restaurant that had no food I liked (in other words, Macaroni Grill). I couldn't have been the only one.

Louisiana deserves much better than its current leadership. I've always known tons of dynamic people, and conversely I never knew any officeholders. Will someone worthy rise up to the challenge?

Don't make me carpetbag.

1 comment:

Nick Istre said...

I haven't been paying attention to him much, but it seems Oyster likes Anh "Joseph" Cao. You can take that for what it's worth. Otherwise, I've resigned myself to not having hope for Louisiana politics, too...