Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day observations



--Ddddddddddddrrrrrroooooovvvveeee.....Sssoorry, tremblingggg....

-- Drove over to my precinct at about 6:25 a.m. Considering I spent most of the night wide awake and that I have to work from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. tonight, that was quite a sacrifice.

-- The polling place had moved into a mid-size church for the last election, the gubernatorial primary. I was unable to find the place last time (it was hidden in plain sight) and didn't vote. This time I made damn sure to locate it a few weeks early.

-- The parking lot was packed with cars, mostly neutral but about 50-50 among those with bumper stickers. A long line snaked outside, but I was told that those were the people with last names A-G. The H-O (yes, I know) and P-Z lines were oddly much shorter.

-- The church smelled like a flame-broiled Whopper. Quite nice. Saw a coworker exiting with his "I Voted" sticker. Nifty.

-- The woman in front of me - youthful-looking middle age - kept eying me. Maybe I give off Obama vibes. Those are aphrodisiacs, I've heard.

-- When I got my ballot sheet, I almost accidentally marked McCain-Palin. Seriously. I still get shivers thinking about it. I connected the Obama-Biden arrow with aplomb. Then I traced it over a few times just to be sure. Also voted for Nixon - Jay Nixon, that is - for Missouri governor. Also voted against a measure that would end public election of judges in favor of a "nonpartisan" commission's appointment with a public referendum after a few years. Oddly enough, fellow Greene County voter John Ashcroft also stumped against it, which makes me wonder.

--Even with a packed house and a busy ballot, I was in and out in about 25 minutes. I headed over to McDonald's for breakfast, where I wound up right behind the same woman who'd been in front of me at the polls. Destiny?

-- My journalism professor, who is serving in Iraq, sent out an e-mail saying this weekend's Texas Tech upset of Texas was an omen. He claims the military vote is 70 percent for McCain, and that it'll make a big difference. He's certainly a source for information you never hear anywhere else.

-- Later that afternoon, I got on the horn with my 18-year-old sister to make sure she and my family had voted. She's a political-science student, so I shouldn't have worried. She and my dad went this morning, and my mom went this afternoon. Didn't talk to my brother, but he's a reliable voter. My sis and I talked for about two hours about the election. Good times.

--On my way home this evening from my usual bike ride, I found myself stuck at a major intersection behind a van with an Obama bumper sticker. The driver opened the door and - after a few seconds - tossed her cookies all over the pavement! I thought maybe it was just a drink, but after she did it once again - visions of Mr. Creosote dancing in my head - and once we got moving I confirmed that it was, in fact, tossed cookies. "I know exactly how you feel," I said to myself. Later in the drive, it occurred to me that I'd been out of info reach for the past couple of hours, and maybe she knew something I didn't. And then, I suddenly felt the need to vomit myself. Fortunately, I managed to hold it down and eat something. Now I'm watching results trickle in. If only I could add my adrenaline to the power grid...

--That new CNN thing with Jessica Yellin being beamed into the Election Center as a 360-degree hologram from Chicago is awesome. Let's tap that technology for all of us who often need to be in two places at once.

--Just saw the Chicago celebration (so loud that CNN's Suzanne Malveaux had to get a special microphone after her first segment was completely drowned out), which was contrasted with the mood at the GOP's ballroom in Phoenix. Despite the excellent boys' choir, it still seemed like, er, reality.

-- [This space reserved for hope.]

1 comment:

rhondaa said...

oh my god!
oh my god!
oh my god!
this...
this....
this country!

;)