Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just in time! (I'm sure I'll say this even more fervently in July)

When filling out my income tax form, I opted out of direct deposit for my refund and "stimulus" check. I later learned that people who chose checks would get them later than those who took the electronic avenue.

Fair enough. But yesterday this hit me:

"If the last two digits of your Social Security number are 88 to 99, your check should be in the mail by July 11."

I fall in this dubious category, the very last people to receive anything. Reminds me of my experience in jury duty, when they let all the people with names A-L out for lunch, then went from Z-M. What a pisser.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they send all those "Bush is sending you a tax rebate, pardner!" notices at the same time? I saw a really chirpy "local" Fox News report on that a while back.

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to wait for my chance to grow the economy by putting a small dent in my car debt.

3 comments:

Busplunge said...

I fall in the same boat. I was going to use my rebate check on a jeep. Shoot. All the good ones will be gone by July.

Nathan said...

Silly Ian. Paying off debt doesn't grow the economy. Increasing it does!

But cheers for being fiscally responsible! We're going to throw ours at credit card debt. We're being bad consumers, too.

Though I hear they only expect 28% of the payments to be reinjected into the economy. The rest will go into things like rent and debt.

Ragin-Cajun said...

I'm a Republican.

My 2 last digits are 01.

I already own a jeep.

Coincidence or conspiracy?