Sunday, October 21, 2007

Clinton would have been impeached over the initials alone

So Bobby Jindal is the new governor-elect of Louisiana. As if nobody saw that coming. A relentlessly pro-business savior figure who walks and talks the neocon George W. Bush line, completely out of step with both national sentiment and reality, who sees the seat as the latest in a long line of opportunistic resume-building glories? Well, he's not Kathleen Blanco, so OK.

Jindal is the first Indian-American governor ever, as if that means the United States (with the Republican Party leading the way) is making racial progress. Just as it is wrong to judge someone strictly by their skin color, it is also wrong to parade that skin color as the sole barometer for cultural progress. The GOP doesn't discriminate against skin color, just ideas. If you are willing to be a foot soldier for their made-up cultural war and a cheerleader for their made-up Iraq war, they don't give a damn what you look like. Because you'll look like Bush.

Bobby Jindal is a very educated and (some would say) affable man. That said, however, I'll never forget a commercial that ran during his 2003 campaign, in which he talked about education reform. He ended the mostly benign spot by asking the question, "Haven't the liberals had their way with our schools long enough?" Before I knew anything else about his political platform, his love for Creationism or his close association with Bush, that comment alone caused me to lose respect for him. Not that I had much respect for any politician in 2003, but still...

Jindal supporters are crowing, as they have for more than two years, that he is the man to get Louisiana right with the federal government - that he will work with Bush rather than merely complain about lack of national intervention in certain disastrous situations. This is probably true, but it's also petty and not something that anyone should be bragging about. But they will anyway.

That's my two bits on Jindal. I won't even get into his competition, which I think involved the entire lineup of the Washington Generals and several people who auditioned for the Alan Colmes slot of Hannity & Colmes before Fox News decided to get tough.

When I first heard Saturday's gubernatorial results, I merely shook my head. But now I'm also feeling guilty from inaction, because my inside source (thanks Mom) tells me that I am still registered to vote in Louisiana! According to the commissioner my inside source talked to, this renders me ineligible to vote anywhere other than my Lafayette precinct. This would not be so remarkable, except for two things:

1) I established residency in Missouri in February; and
2) I have already voted in a Missouri election. Holy Diebold, Batman!

In my last post, I detailed how my name is among those potentially compromised by Louisiana's loss of confidential FAFSA info. And also, how the notarized title to the truck I disposed of in 2005 is missing. Before long, they're going to come after me over my expired driver's license, which I let lapse because I had traded it for a Missouri one several months before its expiration.

In short, Louisiana is as hard a state to shake legally as it is culturally.

Which is why I have hope in Savior Jindal. Just as everyone now knows he would have parted the Katrina waters had the voters rightfully fulfilled his God-given destiny in 2003, he is also the answer to all of Louisiana's long-standing political ills. And I'm just certain he'll clean up government and have people like me rightfully eliminated from the voter rolls.

Viva la Jindalucion!

4 comments:

Huck said...

Well, on the positive side (and we've got to try to find one in this, or we'll be too damn depressed) is that Jindal can no longer hide behind the woulda, coulda, shouldas. For Louisiana's sake, I hope he rises to the occasion, but he's become too much of a partisan hack with national ambitions to deliver, I fear. And the good people of Louisiana who voted for him will have the blinders removed soon enough.

Nick said...

Yeah, going against George Bush on the oil royalty sharing and Florida Republicans who didn't want to open their coast to exploration really says "partisan hack."

Ian McGibboney said...

Huck, you're absolutely right. No more hypotheticals.

Nick, that may be true for between-the-line reasons, but I noticed that that did not prevent you from promoting his election on every single post and comment of yours. How do you reconcile that?

Nick said...

What's your question, Ian?

Yeah, I did promote Jindal's election, much because he led the fight in D.C. on the royalty sharing issue. He went against Bush and did his best to put forth the bill that was best for Louisiana.

Unfortunately, because of Bush's threat of a veto and NIMBY Senators, Louisiana was forced to accept the watered down Senate bill.