Sunday, August 19, 2007

Adventures in Ian's wallet

A few nights ago, I treated two friends to a movie. I paid cash and received change. The next day, I pulled out $1 of that change to pay for a snack. Something seemed wrong with the dollar bill; on top of being a little too new, it also seemed thicker than average. I was ready to cry counterfeit when the thick note split into two singles. Cool! I wonder if the movie theater meant to hand me that...

On a hunch, I checked the serial numbers on the bills. Sure enough, they were sequential:



I thought back to Michael Larsen, the guy who manipulated his way to major riches on Press Your Luck in the 1980s, who lost his winnings in part because he converted it all to cash. Why would he do such a thing, you ask? Because a radio promoter promised a $30,000 prize to anyone who could find two pieces of currency with consecutive serial numbers. In his feverish quest to win the contest, Larsen got robbed of his cash. I've been robbed too, dammit!

Oh well...at least I don't have to worry about massive piles of cash strewn about my place. As Forrest Gump would say, "That's good! One less thing."

2 comments:

Nathan said...

We had a stack of 50 consecutively numbered $1 bills come into the hotel one time. I almost bought them from the drawer, just to say I had them.

wheeler said...

used to watch that show all the time as a kid. never heard that story. wow.