Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Prying information with the crowbar of my curiosity

Last night I went to see Evan Almighty (moral: "Change the world one act of random kindness at a time"). On my way there, I helped a stranded motorist get gas. I then got a favor of my own when the theater people let me in even though I lost the ticket I purchased earlier in the day. Buoyed by these two events, I strode up to the concession stand, hankering for some Reese's Pieces. In the middle of the lobby, however, was an unusual sight: a long line of people, cordoned off by ropes made of film. Was this a concession line? I suppose I should ask somebody.

When needing to know information from strangers, I generally stride toward those I deem most receptive to talking to me. Or whoever's cutest. In this case, I just went for the first person I saw: a balding guy in glasses, sitting Indian-style on the carpet. Next to him were three or four college-age girls. The guy is the first to look up at me.

"Hey, is this the concession line?" I ask, casually.

Silence.

"Hey, is this the concession line?" I ask, casually. Again.

Guy looks at me as if he can't see through his glasses.

"Is this the concession line?"

Beat. Another beat. "You talking to me?"

"I'm talking to anybody. Is this the concession line?"

Beat. Another beat. "No."

At this point, I'm really curious. "What line is this, then?"

Nothing. Guy diverts his attention. I feel like I'm talking to myself now. Awkward.

I begin to step away.

Finally, one of the college girls turns around and says, "It's a movie line."

"Which movie? Transformers?" I ask, not expecting an answer.

Beat. Another beat. "Live Free and Die Hard," she says.

"Ah," I mutter, marveling at how I'm adopting Missouri speech patterns.

Conversing with some southerners is like talking to a wall, but at least that wall talks back to you.

3 comments:

yournamehere said...

Was Evan Almighty as bad as it looks?

Ian McGibboney said...

Surprisingly, no. I went into it thinking it was just a cash-in sequel with a ridiculous plot line. But it retains a surprising amount of the spark that lit up Bruce Almighty. Yes, this would not have been made without Steve Carell's rise to stardom. Yes, it's ridiculous most of the time. But you've got to love any movie that says in the credits something like, "Homeland Security does not endorse any of the actions taken near Capitol Hill in this movie." And the premise seems less far-fetched within the context of the movie, and isn't overly religious.

Becky said...

Are you planning on going to see Transformers? Thomas and I are going on Tuesday afternoon. :)