Saturday, May 19, 2007

Old people are awesome

I've been working on a song for a while now, a pretty funny one called "Old People." It's one of those songs where the delivery is half of it, but it stands sort of all right on paper. One of my favorite verses is this one:

Old People don't carry iPods
They don't drive Scions and they don't maintain blogs
They don't know what a BlackBerry is
But they love it when you ask them about their grandkids
Old People

Much to my chagrin, however, I may have to change that first line. Because, as it turns out, old people do carry iPods, according to Rolling Stone's Fortieth Anniversary Issue:

RS: You have an iPod?

Jimmy Carter: I have two of them. One is large and holds about 3,000 songs. The other is a tiny one that doesn't have a screen on it.

Man, Jimmy Carter has two iPods?!! That's even cooler than hearing Bob Barker talk about mp3 players on his special the other night. It always kicks ass to see icons of an older generation stay with the times and remain relevant. This makes me really miss my grandparents, because they probably would have been all over that stuff too.

Guess it's time I finally got one, huh?

Small aside: I purchased said copy of Rolling Stone in the Springfield airport. When the clerk saw me with it she said, "We don't get many kids your age buying Rolling Stone." Which I agreed was sad, even though she probably wasn't lumping me in with the generation to which I actually belong. (Which is also a smart thing to reciprocate: "You don't look a day over 30!") The twinkle in their eyes when they see a younger person who clearly shares their ideals is very satisfying.

My favorite example of this was in the Lafayette (LA) Public Library a few years ago. My selection that day consisted of Al Franken, Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Chris Rock and a few '60s CDs. The librarian checking them out, who must have been in her 50s, winked at me and said, "A man after my own heart!" Which made it all that hard to go back to campus, where beautiful 20-something girls lurked, hard-wired with their suburban parents' far-right beliefs. Really makes you think about the definition of beauty.

In any case, I enjoy talking to older progressives because, in a way, I've always identified with them. They're fleshed out more and they've seen what the future could still become. And I'm grateful for every one of them.

And I really hope they like my little song, once it reaches the top of the charts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may amuse you to know that all the "old white guys" who run Lafayette city government and city-owned utility are seriously tied to their Blackberries... Durel, Huval, Stanley, and a whole buncha others.

Hathor said...

Old people blog too.

Anonymous said...

You're not telling all about how you really feel about the elderly, so I'll tell it. You didn't mention how while you were working your own way through college, you assisted in caring for not only one but two elderly invalids (at the same time)and continued to care for them until they died. This involved many overnight hospital stays for you, even when you had class the next morning, and you persevered in this manner for over five years. You have witnessed and experienced a great deal of pain in your life already, but no reader will ever get this until someone like me, who really knows you spills the beans. You appreciate the opinions of others and you respect and love your elders whether or not they pack Blackberries. And that's all I have to say about that!!!