Saturday, March 03, 2007

Saturday afternoon cartoons

--At 4 a.m. a couple of days ago, tornado-warning sirens blared all over the city. Soon afterwards, a tornado took out a trailer in a nearby town and killed a young girl. All anyone could talk about the next day was, "Man, did you hear those sirens?" And I would say, "Sirens don't wake me up. I grew up next to a hospital, a police station and railroad tracks. Oh...I get it now...don't give me that look!"

Apparently, these sirens are commonplace warning systems that tell Springfieldians to evacuate to the nearest basement or tornado shelter. I'm the only person who doesn't know this. And I'm also the only person who can sleep straight through them. This is why you should hang out with me--the safety.

--While driving to work the other day, I found myself behind a van with a Louisiana license plate. This scared the hell out of me. I still can't figure out why.

--As I'm sure you've noticed by now, I have no idea what day it is. Ever. I spend nights editing tomorrow's newspaper, and I'm off on Mondays and Tuesdays. I never see today's date, ever. They could add a new day to the week and I would never notice.

--Just before CNN went on its latest Anna Nicole bender, the network devoted a few minutes to the Republican presidential candidates. The gist of the story is that Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney are having trouble shoring up support among the neocon right. That's good news for us real people. Then again, it isn't from their lack of trying. Still, I'd have to say a field comprising Obama, Clinton, McCain and Giuliani is honestly not that bad. If it comes down to those four--I'm betting on Romney and Duncan Hunter to drown each other--then we can say with authority that, no matter who wins, it will be an improvement over the present. Not that that's saying much, or that any of the four frontrunners are infallible, but still...Hope may not just be a town in Arkansas anymore.

--Stock-market reports indicate that the American economy has had its worst week since 9/11, and that the Japanese yen is making much headway against the dollar. So much so, in fact, that GM is allegedly accusing Toyota of leveraging that conversion to make record profits. As someone who just purchased a Toyota Scion, I have a different theory: maybe the reason Toyota is doing so much better than GM is that they make nearly invincible cars, are leading the way in hybrid innovations, offer top-shelf service and are opening assembly plants across America...everything that GM is not doing. I want both companies to do well, because that's how the economy works. But when I see one company looking forward and the other worshiping at the SUV altar, then I feel regret for the state of American industry.

--My new job involves editing newspaper copy and writing headlines. I love it. But it does take its toll occasionally; after a long night of editing, I read a friend's MySpace bulletin. A quiz. He left a letter out of some word. And I instinctively reached for the F10 (error-correction) key before I realized, "Hey, this is a freaking MySpace quiz!"

--A letter in today's newspaper accuses the paper of misrepresenting her previous letter with an inaccurate header. She says that the misleading headline got her in trouble with Sen. Claire McCaskill. Whoops! As I read this, all I could think of was, "Uh oh...did I write that one? I hope not." Print is power, baby. It still matters.

(Edit: Whoops! Looks like that letter is running in tomorrow's paper. See? I really don't know what day it is.)

1 comment:

Leigh C. said...

I know what you mean about the sirens. I can sleep through all kinds of earth-shattering noises, and apparently, my young son can too. How do I know? The kid's first two years were spent sleeping very soundly in a room that faced right out on Queens Boulevard, a.k.a., Emergency Vehicle Central.

Signs on the Boulevard of Death need to warn you not only of your impending death by motor vehicle, but also of DEAFNESS by motor vehicle.

Live well, you proofreading maven, you!