Saturday, February 03, 2007

My run-in with Bowl-bound Bears fans

Typically, "Super Bowl" and "Ian" converge about as often as "FEMA" and "public acclaim." This year, however, I can claim my own brush with the bustling throng that will see Super Bowl XLI through nosebleed seating.

Yesterday (as often happens to me lately) I found myself in the Atlanta airport. The joint was absolutely packed with football fans heading to Miami for the big game. I knew this because many of them were already dressed in gameday gear. Some proudly displayed their affinity for Da Bears, while others sported Colts duds. Such fan support made me lament yet another missed opportunity to stride the ATL with pride in my Reggie Bush jersey. As it was, I wore nothing that suggested either my Saints loyalty or my subsequent hardcore support for an AFC victory. Maybe next time!

A few fans even donned shirts that celebrated both teams equally. I figured those people could have saved their money by scrawling, "TEAM" in black marker across a white undershirt. I suppose these are the same people who always wish "best of luck to all teams." What's that all about, anyway? No one ever says, "Best of luck to all countries fighting in this war." But I digress.

While taking a ride in the tram, my eyes gravitated to a beautiful woman dressed to the nines (or, should I say, eights?) in Bears regalia. She stood out like a Belle Swerski among the Tank Johnsons flanking her. She shot me a sweet smile, then returned to the Superfan boasting going on around her. As they all talked their trash about Chicago's God-given birthright to the Lombardi Trophy, I made sure to grin, grunt and nod at the appropriate moments. After a minute or so, Belle Swerski made a remark and shot me her pretty eyes once again. The perfect moment. As our eyes locked, I spoke earnestly and straight from the heart:

"I'm a Saints fan!"

That stopped all the chatter. Belle Swerski made a blank look for a second, the kind someone makes when they realize they're telling a racist joke to a guy named Jamal. Then she toothed another winning smile and said, "I'm a Saints fan too...at least until they played my Bears! Woo!" She and her entourage then shared a laugh and exited the tram. Their absence revealed a grandmotherly woman sitting on the corner bench. This woman looked to have as much interest in football as Paris Hilton has with advanced quadratic equations. Which is why she came off so cool by calmly saying, "I'm from Indiana, so you can just about guess who I'm for."

To which I replied, "I'm from Louisiana, so I'm right there with you." And, indeed, I am.

Go Colts!!

3 comments:

ABDUL said...

HE, TRANSFORM WITHIN FOR SQUARE MUST, THAT HE BLOW THOSE. BEARS IMPRESSIVE APPRECIATE BETTER? BEAT SAINTS. IT EXPLAINS THAT BENEFIT CHOSEN IS DISCOURAGED, BUT ITS ATTITUDE, ARE NOT?

Hillary For President said...

Ian,

I am sick and tire of you're talk about football american. We are LIBRAILS , you and me. What mean are cooncern with football american is zero. Sport's we like are as follow: gymnastic, football (soccer to americans), yachting, rowing, and polo.

OK, Capache? No librails cair about football american!!!!!!! Let get back to talk about how much BUSH and NEOCONS our evil, etc.

Merci

Bridget said...

Yay for Peyton Manning reaping sweet vengeance for his home town! I wish the Saints could have been there to beat him, but this will do in a pinch.