Sunday, September 03, 2006

Today in sports non-news...

LSU won last night's game against the University of Louisiana, 45-3. The score obscures the fact that LSU had virtually zero rushing game all night, and that turnovers kept the score from being 31-17. The game was not the 48-0 (and statistical) blowout it was in 2002; both teams, though unequal, are quite good. Fans on both sides are in for some fun football.

In fact, I would have liked to see UL and LSU play each other at the end of the season. Sure, it's a blasphemous proposition conference-wise, and in most seasons would be as anti-climactic as (to paraphrase my dad) the Saints playing Lafayette High School. But given UL's likelihood of winning the Sun Belt Conference and LSU's dominance in the SEC, combined with the gelling that comes only through a rigorous season, I bet it would make for a textbook grudge match. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Maybe I'll write a screenplay about this. I'm thinking Adam Sandler, Tracy Morgan and Burt Reynolds. And Kathy Ireland. And maybe Corey Haim, if the equipment fits him.

3 comments:

Phillip said...

See if you can find a role for Rob Schneider.

Nick said...

Cherie and I were at the game, along with my parents. We hung in there well until right before the half. That 14-3 score should have been at least 14-6, you just can't miss 35 yd. FG's against LSU. Also, Babb made that HORRIBLE decision while falling down inside our own 10 yard line and threw the ball into the hand of LSU's CB, which resulted in a 10 yd. TD walk.

I know if if was a skif, but that could have started 7-6 easily into the second quarter. Again, though, LSU was helping, with 2 fumbles on UL punts. Our guys just need to learn how to capitalize on that. There was LSU blood in the water for a little while, but our guys did not attack. Also, either Bustle needs to stop calling the same damn plays or Babb needs to read that triple shotgun option better.

Pondering American said...

Well I hope Skip BErtman continues the cureent arrangement. Mainly because I want Louisiana Tech to continue to play LSU. I think it makes sense to continue the LA Tech, ULM, UL schedule. ALso it keeps the money in the state