Thursday, September 14, 2006

How I feel about faith

Here in Cajun country, there's an old joke that goes like this:

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux were at home when a massive flood began to hit. Boudreaux immediately evacuated, and asked Thibodeaux to go with him.

"Mais no, I'm gonna stay here," Thibodeaux said. "If the Lord wants me to leave, He'll give me a sign." Boudreaux shrugged and left.

As the flood waters rose, Thibodeaux found himself clinging to the railing of his porch. Boudreaux then floated by in a rowboat. "Come on, Thibodeaux!" he said. "The water's rising, yeah."

"Mais no, I'm gonna stay here," Thibodeaux said. "If the Lord wants me to leave, He'll give me a sign." Boudreaux shrugged and left.

By then, the waters were rising to staggering depths. Thibodeaux had no choice but to climb on his roof. A helicopter swiftly came to his aid. "Come on, sir," the pilot echoed through a bullhorn. "We're here to rescue you!"

"Mais no, I'm gonna stay here," Thibodeaux said. "If the Lord wants me to leave, He'll give me a sign." The pilot, unable to keep negotiating due to the pounding rain, gave up and left.

Thibodeaux drowned.

Upon reaching the Pearly Gates, Thibodeaux was called to the Lord's throne. "Dear Lord," he said. "I put all of my faith in you to rescue me from the storm. Why didn't you give me a sign?"

And the Lord said, "Well, hell, I sent a rowboat and a helicopter. What more did you want?"

1 comment:

Nick said...

I've always liked that little joke. It never fails, at least once a year I hear it at a church service.