Friday, September 01, 2006

Get some courage, cowardly lyin'

I'm upset that I've had to do this with my blog, but the negatives were outweighing the positives: I've shut off my anonymous-commenter option.

While I have long been infamous for allowing pretty much anything to be said here, certain recent threads have stretched my tolerance to the limit. Basically, I've been attracting numerous flamers, most of whom make a cursory attempt at debate and then rip into me with all the vengeance of a jilted ex-girlfriend who caught me cheating on live TV. Except that we dated only in this person's mind, and in fact they don't know me at all.

Such inappropriate remarks are not what this forum is intended to promote. I write my opinions on the world, with my real name and reputation attached, and I provide you the ability to comment and debate. Even if the debate gets heated, it should remain civil. Not Right is a hangout for numerous respectable conservatives, and that give-and-take is a great thing. But there's a line between being open and being a pushover, and I refuse to continue to cater to those who want to make every issue about me (Ian), especially when the flaming is at a frequency to where I can barely keep up, and hides behind "Anonymous."

As always, I will allow anything to be said here. But it will take a certain minute amount of courage in posting that some people nevertheless don't have. To my friends and family who occasionally post without a Blogger account (though sign their names/handles), I apologize, and hope that you find it worthwhile to sign up for an account to keep commenting.

I don't take this kind of anger-baiting in person and I won't take it on this blog. If you have something to say, then say it with accountability.

1 comment:

Cajun Tiger said...

So far I've only had one comment that was so bad that I had to delete. I hope that doesn't happen again, but if it were to ever get out of hand, I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. It's a shame people can't debate w/o resorting to personal and completely unnecessary attacks.

While I obviously disagree with you 99.999% of the time =) I enjoy our debates as it keeps me sharp on the issues.

Sorry it had to come to this...but don't let it get you down...there will always be idiots in the world.