Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ann Richards 1933-2006

Former Texas governor dies of cancer at 73

I've been to Texas four million times in my life. But I think I enjoyed it most from 1991 to 1995, when my family made annual trips to Bonham for family reunions. I think my favorite trip was in July 1994, when we went to the reunion, then to Six Flags over Arlington and Dealey Plaza in Dallas. Somewhere along the way, I heard that Gov. Richards was up for re-election against George W. Bush, son of the former president. And then I got sick and vomited a lot. In retrospect, maybe it wasn't food poisoning...

As most of you already know, I'm not the biggest fan of Texas. Nor am I the most prudent follower of Texan politics. But I can say that my fondest memories of the Lone Star State--times when I seriously considered moving there after high school or college--coincide perfectly with Ann Richards' tenure as governor of Texas. Maybe it was because, at that time, I actually felt at home there. It was like a whole other country.

R.I.P., Madame Governor.

2 comments:

Cajun Tiger said...

I obviously wasn't a fan of her politics...but I didn't even know she was sick...shocked when I read it.

Phillip said...

I like Molly Ivans (sp?) too. From TX, that's about it. And my whole amily is from Texas.