Sunday, July 23, 2006

Do I not know what "down" means?

This morning I was doing a New York Times crossword puzzle, and I came upon a clue that read, "With toast, in a diner." Four letters. I racked my brain on and off for almost an hour trying to figure out the answer. Finally, I flipped to the back of the book (something I absolutely hate to do) and discovered that the answer was DOWN. Can anyone tell me what the hell that means in relation to toast? The particular puzzle I was doing was difficult and riddled with New York-centric slang, so I'm assuming that might have been another one. Anybody?

5 comments:

dangerblond said...

I think it means to push the lever on the toaster down. They leave two slices of bread in there, ready to go "down."

BeerMan said...

Its VERY standard diner lingo.

The fact that you are not familiar with it shows you are one of the Limousine Liberals. Always dining at Chez Pierre and places like that.

Nothing worse than a poser.

Cajun Tiger said...

Wouldn't have know that one either...learn something new every day! Also blows Beerman's assessment out the water...you must have really pissed in his cereal or something for him to be so deadset on being such a jerk at every chance possible.

Ian McGibboney said...

Thanks, dangerblond. Makes perfect sense now. Still a bit obscure, even for a NYT crossword puzzle.

BeerMan, using your twisted logic, I must not be a good liberal because I didn't understand something in the New York Times.

Cajun Tiger, to quote Glenn Reynolds, indeed.

dangerblond said...

I've been to diners, but I learned the lingo from left wing communist Hollywood movies.