Sunday, May 21, 2006

Changes afoot

In anticipation of Not Right's second birthday, I'm making several big changes around here. Nothing particularly drastic or life-changing, mind you, but just a few things that serve the twin purposes of making the interface easier and relieving the tedium that sometimes accompanies two years of doing the same project.

First off, a new banner is underway. You can already see the ultra-cool anniversary banner I made to celebrate the fact that my blog is now rapidly outgrowing diapers. Following this run will be an all-new logo for 2006. And no, I won't divulge its look--partially out of surprise, and partially because I don't yet have a clue what it's going to look like. But this much is evident: now that I have access to a real digital camera and lots of free time, I can actually make something worthy of my outsized ego :)

Also, the sidebar is going to be a lot different. From now on, you will be able to access all of my favorite posts by subject and name: a greatest-hits collection, if you will. The posts I've compiled represent a cross-section of personal favorites and conversational firestarters, divided into various categories (they do not include my columns, which are on a separate site). The monthly archives will also remain for you hardcore addicts.

Other changes will include: archive links by feature (Caption Central, cartoons, Not Right News, etc.), an updated P.I.M.P. graphic and a more useful profile link. I'm also bandying about a change in template.

With these changes, I intend for Not Right to have a more professional look and feel, without sacrificing the irreverence that defines this place. I appreciate all of the readership over the past two years, and hope that the new site construction makes your trip all that more of a joyride.

6 comments:

Speechie said...

ya know, if you need inspiration...or a hand at a graphic design...I have two of them that usually do a pretty good job ;), and I would certainly be willing to lend them to your cause ;) ;) ;)

Hegemon said...

I eagerly await your new, badly photoshopped banner Ian.

Ian McGibboney said...

I use a six-year-old version of Microsoft Picture It! for my graphics; that's my excuse. What's yours?

Hegemon said...

I use CS2 and mine don't come out looking like MSpainted 3rd grader artwork, like yours.

Ian McGibboney said...

Don't you have anything better to do than to attack my graphic designs? That's so jester of you.

Nick said...

At least Icon has graphics. I got nothing.