Saturday, May 06, 2006

Bested!

The Times of Acadiana is currently accepting votes for its annual "Best of Acadiana" list. I look forward to this list every year because I like having my finger on the pulse of the area, and this is about the only way I can ever feel it. It's a hugely expansive list, covering such categories as Best Soul Food, Best Frame Shop, Best Insurance Agent and Best Place to Hold A Wedding ("City Club did my wedding so much better than Acadian Village did my last one!").

I can't wait to see who wins Best Print Journalist and Best Local Columnist. Should be an interesting competition, considering that virtually all finalists in both categories work for The Times of Acadiana or its parent paper, The Daily Advertiser. Obvious bias aside, that makes them all ineligible to win! Even the one guy who is technically eligible was a Times fixture for years. Nothing to see here, folks...

One of the newer categories is Best Local Blog. As you may have seen on my sidebar, I did not make the cut for this category. There are probably dozens of reasons for this, including my general apathy; I'm sure that I could have nominated myself if I'd wanted to do so. I'm still reeling that this category even exists, being that best-of polls serve mainly to generate advertising revenue. And bloggery isn't exactly Coco Chanel in that department.

But I digress. Here are the blog nominees who made the final cut:

KLFY.com--I could find only one blog on their site, and it's this weather blog, which is pretty good in its own right. Still, it seems a bit cheap for this to be on the list, the equivalent of having Burger King on the list for best local hamburger.

Dege Legg's Cablog [misspelled on the online ballot]--Interesting tales of a rocker-slash-cabdriver's life, through a prosaic filter. Is running unopposed for most swear words per square inch.

Lafayette Pro-Fiber Blog--Your number-one source for news on the hot-button local issue of 2005. Updated daily.

MySpace--the whole thing? In that case, I'm voting "restaurant" for Best Food.

The Conservative Cajun--the official blog of award-winning editorialist Nick Bouterie. Yes, I said award-winning. Back when we opposed each other in The Vermilion, his columns won sixth place in a competition. As of this moment, I have no writing awards of any kind. Life's unfair.

I can understand how hard it must have been to find a local blog worth mentioning. Lafayette has generated plenty of one-post wonders, as well as utterly pointless blogs. But come on, at least include Suspect Device so it seems less like you're snubbing the competition!

6 comments:

jenny said...

always rely on ian for amusement. :)

Speechie said...

I wish there was a write-in section on these ballots...

Nick said...

Dude, was there only one vote necessary to get on this list? If so man, I would have nominated you and let Cherie or someone else nominate me. That's so cool, though. I need to find the latest Times to see if the lists are published in there.

T-Mac said...

Myspace? Wow.

Phillip said...

my own personal favorite category is best rice and gravy. i saw that one and had to kick myself in the head.

Anonymous said...

Maybe my blog will have a shot next year?

Check out Renegade's BS